Thursday, July 22, 2010

half marathon challenge

When I started to regularly exercise again a couple of years ago, my fitness goal was to be able to run any distance at twice the world record time. This was a fairly reasonable goal, not too fast, but also not too slow. So far it's been easy enough to meet this goal in the shorter distances, 400m up to 10k, but beyond that, I haven't been able to meet the challenge. The biggest reason is fitness level. I'm going to have to train to be able to handle the pounding my body will take for that long of a distance. I have run/walk 13 miles 3 times. 1st time at 3 hours, 2nd time at 2h30m, and the last time at 2h10m. My goal is to do it under 2 hours. I'm going to start a 10 weeks training program to get my body in shape enough to handle running for 2 hours.

The program is from runner's world. It consists of 3 workouts a week. 1 speed, 1 tempo and 1 long run. I'll report back on my progress.