Friday, September 16, 2011

driving a convertible miata

No, this is not a mid-life crisis! I just bought a 1999 miata convertible for my son. Since he still does not have his driver's license yet, I've been driving the car.
My impression of driving the miata:
1 - it's so small! (i've been driving a minivan for the last 12 years, so the miata is sooo low, and small. I've never felt so exposed/vulnerable on the freeway my whole life.)
2 - if you feel the need to drive a motorcycle, a great and safer alternative would be a small sporty convertible. I don't know if it's the same, but I think you get the same open/expose feel, without the inherent instability of a 2-wheeled vehicle.
3 - i won't miss it. it's kind of interesting, but i must be getting old & dull because i don't get any rush from driving this thing.