Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Cruise - before and after

The family went on an 8-day Carribean cruise over Thanksgiving. It was a nice relaxing time. The most interesting thing for me was how different this cruise was compared to the Alaska cruise I took 6 years ago. And the difference was all due to the changes in me.
From the Alaska cruise I gained 5 pounds, and for a month afterward, I was constantly hungry. This is understandable given that while on the cruise, I was eating like a pig. The first night I ordered 2 entrees for dinner, by the last night, I ordered 4 entrees for dinner. (fyi, I'm only 5 feet tall and weighs about 120 lbs.).
Given the health kicks I've been on this year, I actually lost 1 pound during this cruise. The food was good and I ate plenty (usually an extra appetizer or entree, not as much as the last cruise, but still more than usual), but what changed was how active I was. I made an effort to exercise during the cruise. This is a first for me. I normally count on being active enough during vacation (walking, swimming with the kids) to burn the calories, but this time I actually used the gym on board to exercise almost every day. And surprisingly I was not feeling the hunger after this cruise as I did the one before.

It's amazing what a change in mind-set can do.

Thang