Thursday, March 1, 2007

Are you smarter than a 5th grader?

I've been watching this show on Fox with my kids and I can't believe how bad (may be the proper word is "unenlightened") these people are. They are missing a bunch of questions that I wouldn't think that they should. The contestants are asked questions that kids would have learned in grade school. And as they answer these questions correctly, they get money (surprisingly, a lot of money). Of the 2 contestants so far, one (a UCLA grad no less) got $5,000, and the other one got $100,000. Getting that $100K requires you to answer about 7 questions right, this includes 3 chances to get help from the kids on the show.

The issue here could be contestant selection, that is select people who sounds like they could be intelligent people based on their education and profession, while making sure that they are at the same time clueless. I will see how this shows plays out. Meanwhile, I have a deal with my 12 years old son that he gets a quarter for every right answer, and lose a dollar for every wrong answer (since he is now a 6th grader, he thinks this is fair enough). So far I owe him $1 after the first show we watched together.

I will revisit this topic periodically, as one of my pet peeve is:
"common sense is not all that common" and "average intelligence is pretty disappointing"

Thang

No comments: